Shredded Flank - Ropa Vieja
3 lbs Flank Steak
1 Medium onion - julienned
1 Green pepper - julienned
1 Red pepper - julienned
1 Yellow pepper - julienned
5 Cloves of chopped garlic
2 tsp Garlic powder
1 tsp Dry oregano
1 tsp Smoked paprika
1 tsp Cumin
1 small can of chopped tomatoes
Juice of 1 lime
1 cup of olives sliced
Salt & pepper
2 tbs avocado oil
*These are for Instant Pot use but a slow cooker may be used as well.
Slow cooker: 4 hrs on high or 8 on low.
1. Set IP to sautée function and add avocado oil.
2. Slice flank steak into pieces so it fits in the pot and season both sides with salt & pepper. Add steak to IP and brown both sides in batches. Transfer to plate and set aside.
3. Add onion and peppers to the pot. Sautée 4-5 min or until softened. Be sure to scrape any brown bits on the bottom of the pot (that's flavour!). Add garlic and cook another 45-60 sec.
4. Add garlic powder, oregano, paprika & cumin & toss everything to coat. Sautée 45-60sec to awaken the spices. Add tomatoes, lime juice, & olives. Give everything a stir before adding steak back to the pot.
5. Cover the steak with the veggies, close the lid, set to sealing and cook under high pressure 45min.
6.Once cooked, release pressure manually and shred the steak in the pot. Adjust salt & pepper as required.
7. Serve with rice and garnish with avocado and cilantro
Recipe by our favourite local Recipe Blog: Primal Gourmet
Link to his site: http://cookprimalgourmet.com/whole30-instant-pot-ropa-vieja